Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Thai Sticky Rice Pudding


We just had dinner guests on Saturday. I had Thai-ish food on the menu. Seafood Green Curry using Thai Green Curry paste, Stuffed Omlette, Steamed Broccoli and oyster sauce and star of the show was our pudding; Sticky Rice Pudding.

Sweet sticky rice is common in Thailand. You can have it with ripe mangoes, durian and other 1001 toppings. My favourite is egg custard topping. When I was young (gosh, must be about a hungred years ago), the vendor would wrapped this gorgeous pudding in banana leave secured with a sharp thin bamboo. The banana leave also lent the content with that nice yummy aroma.

I came across this recipe from shesimmers.com. Leela is so clever with her easy approach to Thai home cooking. This recipe is just one example.

I use 3 size 7 eggs + 1 yolk when I cook this at home as New Zealand size 7 eggs are smaller than large American eggs. You can also use 4 size 6 eggs.

For sticky rice - this is how I cook mine.

- 1 cup sticky rice (glutinous rice) soaked in boiling water for 45 minute. Do not leave it too long otherwise the rice will become stodgy in the oven.

- Drain the rice and place in muslin line steamer, cook on boiling water for 15 minutes.

You can also make individual serving in 8 cm ramekins (pictured above). I have also experimented by steaming this pudding in ramekin for 20 minutes and the result is also good.

No comments:

Post a Comment