Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Limecello and a Pause


As you know we have a lime tree – and it is in season now so we have more limes than we can use. And Bob happened to buy the wrong kind of Vodka the other day so I thought I should try making alcoholic lime drink. It’s the same recipe as Limoncello but I use limes so we call it Limecello.
 

You will need:
Zest of 5 big limes
1 cup Vodka (cheap one will do)
Juice from 2-3 juicy limes
½ cup sugar
1 cup water


Wash your limes – but my home grown ones do not need thorough clean as I never use spray on the tree. Grate the skin off the limes with good zester (I use Microplane – it makes my life a lot easier with this task) and place the zest in a glass jug or jar. Take care not to get too much pith when you grate your limes – they should look quite greenish after the process. At this point the kitchen will smell wonderful. Cover the zest with Vodka. Cover the jar with lid and place in a cool dark place for 48 hours.


After 48 hours, make syrup from sugar, lime juice and water – bring to the boil and leave to cool. Mix the syrup with the Vodka/lime mixture in the jug, stir and strain through the sieve. If you have a muslin cloth, use it – the liquid will come out clearer. Serve chilled on its own (in small glasses!) or with ice and soda – or just warm water for the cold nights.


I will be be away for a few weeks - to somewhere warmer. I will not be able to watch the whole Season 2 of Game of Thrones but I shall read the books on my kindle. I will also have a lot of yummy food and think of you my dear readers. There will be loads of interesting posts around the end of this month, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment