Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Sunday Brunch: Leftover Frittata




We had Frittata for brunch on Sunday. It was not leftover meal as such but some of the ingredients were leftover from the previous night and I would hate to see them go to waste so I tried to incorporate them in my brunch. I had a bit of chorizo as well as sliced red onion, spring onion and coriander leftover so I thought using them in Frittata would be nice.
Chorizo or bacon or ham (or other leftover meat)

1 carrot, sliced

a bunch of spinach, chopped

4 or 5 brown flat mushrooms (These were what I had in the fridge on Sunday -you can substitute all these with whatever veges you have or leftover from your dinner the previous night– roasted vegetables such as potatoes and pumpkin are brilliant)

3 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese (and a bit of parmesan if you fancy)

Sliced red onion (about half)

Chopped spring onion & coriander

3 eggs, beaten
salt & pepper
Pre-cook sliced carrot and wilt spinach leaves in the microwave. Make sure to squeeze the water from the spinach so that your Frittata will not be too soggy. Pre-heat the oven on grill.
In a thick bottom saucepan (I use my 20 cm Scanpan which is a good size for 2), fry onion in a bit of butter and canola oil on medium heat then add chorizo and mushrooms, fry a little bit more before adding carrot and spinach. At this stage you can arrange the pre-cooked vegetable neatly. Season the eggs with salt & pepper and pour in the pan cook until set around the edge. Add cheese and scatter spring onion and coriander on top and put under the grill for a few minutes until cooked in the middle.


Frittata is a good way to use up your leftover cooked vegetables. Bob likes his with sweet chilli sauce but I like mine as is – Bonnie simply does not care as long as we let her do a rinse job (of course, we will put everything in the dishwasher afterwards although they look so clean!)

No comments:

Post a Comment