Monday, May 12, 2014

Lime Time

We have just one lime tree at home and it has been producing a lot of fruits for 3 or 4 years. This one is Tahitian variety with no seeds and very juicy. We harvest ours from late April (autumn) until July. At the end of the season I juice them and freeze the juice in the ice trays. And the lime cubes last for another 3 months or so, so it is a good investment. Just feed it with plant food from time to time, especially in spring and it will be good as (I use Osmocote and Thrive).

We also have Kaffir Lime but we don’t use it much apart from a few leaves at a time in Thai curries. The fruits will be good as a hair conditioner but it is too time consuming for me. Kaffir limes are not as easy to find as Tahitian limes so I put mine in a big pot so we can move it with us. Kaffir can also benefit from feeding once or twice a year.

We planted our Tahitian lime next to our Ti tree. The Ti tree attracts a lot of bees and I think our lime benefits from that as well. I use limes in all sort of food savoury, sweets and drinks, both non- alcoholic and alcoholic, something like Limecello.

No comments:

Post a Comment